Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Little Heart to Heart about the MOTHER'S Act

Posted by: "Lauren Hale" ppdacceptance@gmail.com ppdacceptance
Thu Apr 9, 2009 6:05 pm (PDT)

Dear Fellow Coordinators,
I write tonight to ask all of you to add your names to the growing list of
supporters for the MSB MOTHER'S Act at Susan Stone's website. You can do so
by emailing Susan directly at susanstonelcsw@aol.com. Be sure to include
your name, state, any credentials, and affiliated organizations. The list
she is developing will be delivered to Senators on Mother's Day.
I know PSI is listed as a national organization. But listing as an
organization has no value if our members do not step up individually to show
support as well. It is imperatively important we all speak up and add our
names to this list so our Senators will know their constituents need them to
support this bill. We cannot let the opposition defeat this desperately
needed legislation again!
Knowledge is power, it is prevention. With each of my subsequent
pregnancies, I became more and more educated about my options. I made
decisions in consultation with my physicians. As a Coordinator with
Postpartum Support International, I encourage women who contact me to
explore all their options, primarily social support resources. I do not
encourage medicating specifically (and cannot do so) but will support
whatever decision a mother makes. To medicate or not is a decision to be
made between a woman and her doctor. The MSB MOTHER’S Act respects this. PSI
respects this. I respect this.
As PSI volunteers, we support mothers on their journeys. As all of you know,
twenty percent of new mothers (new or experienced) will experience a mood
disorder. And up to 50% of their partners will experience depression as
well. The last thing we need to do is to close the door on them. I have had
this happen to me with no alternative treatment or options available. It is
a very scary place to be indeed and is why I do what I do. I refuse to allow
any mothers suffer in silence and fear as I did, holding on for dear life to
the precious hope that one day she’ll wake up and be normal again.
Please do not let this happen to any other mothers. Don’t let them suffer in
silence. Raise your voice. Let it be heard. Let mothers across the country
know they are not alone, they are not to blame, and they will be well, no
matter what road they choose towards help. Give them options instead of
taking them away. Help us educate physicians. Help us educate American
communities and remove the stigma and fear that all too often befalls a new
mother struggling with intrusive thoughts, sleepless nights, and sobbing
days. Let her know you are there for her. It is time to reach out with open
arms and bring back the village that once raised Mothers and Children. The
Desperate Village<http://www.coping-with-life.com/2009/04/desperate-village.html>is
running out of time and hope. Don’t let your voice be the one that
causes
their downfall. Speak up now.

No comments: