Saturday, May 2, 2009

Los Altos Town Crier - Baby blues: Early intervention critical for postpartum depression

Written by Kris Peterson, MFT - Special to the Town Crier

Wednesday, 22 April 2009

“I couldn’t wait to have this baby,” a new mother confided to the intake therapist at El Camino Hospital’s Maternal Outreach Mood Services program. “We had wanted a baby for so long, this was a dream come true. I was elated when she was finally born, but within weeks things completely changed. I am exhausted all the time, even when I’ve slept well the night before. It’s as though the color has drained out of everything. I’m walking around in a gray fog, even the slightest thing seems overwhelming. Sometimes I just feel like I’m jumping out of my skin. How can I feel like this when I have a beautiful, healthy baby?”

This mom is not alone. One in eight new mothers will experience postpartum depression, marked by symptoms of fatigue, mood swings, sleep and appetite disturbances, guilt and loss of interest and motivation.

Los Altos Town Crier - Baby blues: Early intervention critical for postpartum depression

No comments: